SpecMiataClassifieds.com - The Friendly FREE-for-All
September 03, 2014, 01:57:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NOW OPEN - Product Reviews and Ratings.  Start here to research things you need for your car, trailer, shop or pits. Write reviews and rate products that you have owned so others can make a better informed choice.

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tow dolly? Pros and Cons  (Read 1894 times)
38bfast

« on: February 27, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »

My team mate doesn’t have a trailer and doesn’t want to drive it 4 hours to the track. My trailer will carry all the tools and equipment but won’t haul two cars. He does own a new Dodge Ram. He wants to get away as cheap as possible and would rather not deal with storing an open trailer. So he asked what about a tow dolly? He thinks he could deal with that.

I would think you would want to run street tires on the back at least. Maybe crank up the rear springs to gain some more shock travel.

What are your thoughts?

Ralph Provitz
Race Rochester #38 SM
2008 WHRRI SM Champion WHRRI top ten driver over all.
Fear of Dents Can Make You Go Faster
Greg Bush
Driver

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »

I looked at putting a SM on a tow dolly once. The car is too low no matter what you do with the springs for most dollies. Not to mention jacking with your springs would not help your setup.

Jim B will tell you he drives 4 hours to the local track several times a year, but he is special.... Duck!

Rent a u-haul flat trailer for the weekends in question or man up and drive the car. Driving

Greg
Eric Barbaric

The Cure

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:00:48 PM »

I did the U-haul rental a few times. I still wonder if that is the way to go. My neighbor hasn't said anything about my trailer encroaching on his property in between our houses, but tick, tick, tick.  If you only tow three or four times a year, owning a trailer doesn't make much sense.

One time I saw a truck pulling a dolly that had another axle system for the rear. In other words, the Miata rear wheels were cradled  and supported  and there were a couple small wheels on either side. Maybe this would only suffice for short hauls. I can't imagine the RPMs those hubs would turn at 70 mph. Anyway, it lifted the rear and kept the rear wheels off the pavement.

I haven't seen another system like that though.
disquek
Driver

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:59:01 AM »

One big con to a dolly as opposed to a trailer is that some states require you to register a car that's on a dolly (because it's touching the road).  Check with your state and all the states you'll race in/tow through.

The cops will know this, and a non-registered race car is obvious from a long way away (numbers/stickers).

-Kyle
Dave Lewis

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »

Ralph, I assume you are referring to "Blocker" Willoughby. Talk him in to buying a trailer, then I could borrow it and his Ram. Grin  If I had his money I would throw mine away. Duck!
jigou
Driver

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »

A couple SM drivers around here have custom-built two-wheel trailers that are barely longer than the cars themselves. Simple to move around by one person....heck, they're small enough that you should be able to fit the trailer into the garage with the car on it if storage is an issue. Yeah, it then becomes a PITA to work on the car....

Me, I'm a fan of four tires/wheels on my trailer, but that's another debate.

Jarrod
dluney

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »

I use a tow dolly regularly to shuffle cars to the painter or fab shop etc. Works great for that. No problem loading a race ready car with street tires (lesson learned, don't try space savers, too low with them).

I use it to go the 24 miles to Road Atlanta but thats it. I wouldn't use it as my race transport other than that. First, you can't back a car on a tow dolley. Second, if you have an "event" at the track that effects the rear suspension, your hosed. Finally, you are putting miles of all of the rear components, shocks, diff, axles, and alignment, not significant, but still more miles.

The u-haul thing works for a while, but I would recommend getting a dual axle trailer with brakes. Find a loacl racer that has space to store it free or cheap.

Suwanee GA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: